Skip to content

It’s a busy time of year, and not surprisingly, people want to get started on projects as soon as possible.

But before you start your building permit application, make sure you have all the information needed for our staff to begin working on it.

Every project needs building plans of some nature. But there are also a host of other things that ought to be considered.

Septic approval/re-approval: needed for any new build with plumbing, any build that is adding bedrooms. (GNB application here).

Site plan: required for *every* application. Show us where your building is. We need to know the distance to the side and rear lot lines, as well as the front of the lot - that's the front property line. Do NOT submit measurements to the centre of the street or road.

Wetlands permit: Check to see if your project requires a Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Permit, affectionately called a "WAWA" in the industry. The permit costs $25.

Setback certificate: If you are building within 30 metres of any pubic road, you need to contact the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure for their approval.  Application form (verify this is up-to-date) Application form here.  This must be submitted to DOTI, we do NOT process setback certificates.

Civic number: Many new residences require evidence of having applied for a civic number.  Call toll free at 1-888-353-4444 or e-mail ( for assistance.