This is a busy time for people wanting to build, and we want to make sure you can get shovels in the ground as soon as possible. The simplest way to make that happen is to call our Planning Department early in the planning process, because we can identify potential challenges such as:
- Septic system approval
- Need for wetlands access permits in watersheds and near water
- Setback requirements from major highways (If building within 15 m of Routes 1,3,4, 127, 170, may need DTI variances)
- Height limitations of accessory buildings in a municipality
- Land-use restrictions in both municipal and some rural areas
- Changes code requirements in an existing building if changing use
(It should be noted that many of these potential obstacles are bylaws set by municipal governments, provincial regulations, or building code regulations, not the Service Commission.)
We tell our clients it takes three-five business days to process a permit, but if all the preparation has been done, that will make turnaround much easier. The last thing we want is to receive a permit application and only then identify a potential obstacle.
Our professional staff are trained to help you navigate a path through provincial and local regulations and get you to your building goal. The best way to help us do that is to call us first, not last. Our number is 466-7369.